[hackerspaces] LLC to non-profit - who's done it?

Mike Outmesguine mikeout at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 07:40:29 CEST 2010

As I recall, for the IRS*, it's something like 26 months from the last
day of the month of incorporation. If you file before that deadline,
your non-profit tax status is retroactive to the date of
incorporation.

On the other hand, if you file after that deadline, your non-profit
tax status starts (I think) from the date of the filing.

You can still file years after you form up, but if you file early you
get the benefits back to day 1.

Good idea to talk to a lawyer and accountant familiar with non-profits
about ongoing corporate and tax responsibilities to keep your
non-profit status. A major concern for us is the additional paperwork
and overhead to stay legit.

-Mike

*State rules on filing time lines may differ. Check your local listings.