[hackerspaces] Collaborative coding - lowering the entry barrier for beginning hackerspaces

Matt brimstone at the.narro.ws
Mon Aug 16 23:42:33 CEST 2010

On 07/23/2010 03:42 PM, Far McKon wrote:
> As much as I don't like google, our stack was quick to setup and get
> using/rolling/active. It took about 2 days to set everything up.
>
> current Hive76 stack:
> Wordpress Weblog
> Mediawiki Wiki
> google for domains for private Docs, mail, calendar mgmt (which works great)
> Door access - custom astrix setup.
>
> using google for domains, anyone can push events to our calendar via
> their XXX at hive76.org email address, and can make their own posts and
> events.  We also can share documents to everyone on @hive76.org
> easily, and we can quickly setup forms for class info, login, etc.
>
> I would like to switch to crabgrass or Open Atrium for tasks/etc, but
> google right now is beating it on features, so I lose that argument
> with our CTO, who is pretty sharp and setup most of our system. If
> someone has a good non-google system with easy private doc and
> calendar integration, let me know. i'd love to have some good ammo for
> that discussion :)

Sorry to come in late to this discussion, but Makers Local uses OSS
Zimbra as a central point for email, docs, calendar, tasks, and most
importantly authentication. We then have Wordpress using Simple LDAP
Login[1] and MediaWiki using LDAP Authentication Plugin[2] to
authenticate off Zimbra and automagically setup accounts for
members. It's now all self hosted off a oss Xen server. We don't
have a great way for doing classes yet, just a scraper off our wiki
or the internal calendaring in Zimbra.

I'd like to find a good project/event manager that tied into LDAP as
well as provided ICS files or published to caldav, but that's
another story.

Just my 2¢,
#matt

[1]