[hackerspaces] Intro to Reversing at Hive76

Marc Juul marcjc at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 17:43:48 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Matthew McCabe <matt at mrmccabe.com> wrote:

> On a more general note: I think it would be a great idea to have a number of
> hackerspace classes available online to the larger hackerspace community.
> Anyone have suggestions for how to do this?  Collaboration software
> recommendations, etc.?

I'm working right now with some people at the Technical University of
Denmark to create an easy to use open source application for this
purpose. It should be ready some time at the beginning of 2011. We'll
likely need someone to test it beforehand.

Basically we're bundling existing tools and adding a bit of code here
and there, so if you have the time you can set it up right now.

If you don't mind depending on the proprietary flash plugin for video,
you can do the following:

  dvgrab to get video over firewire
  ffmpeg to re-encode video to H.264 with mp3 audio in an flv container
  RTMPd to broadcast the flv stream using the rtmp protocol
  FlowPlayer flash video player client to view the stream inside the browser.

I've used this to stream some tests from events, and it _is_ kinda
difficult to set it all up right, but like I said, we're working to
create a nice GUI app that ties it all together for easy use, and adds
features like showing of slides, screencasting, chat between
conference participants, etc. Basically it will be an open equivalent
of Adobe Live Connect, without all of the suck.

It should be possible to do everything using open standards with HTML5
video and HTTP progressive download, but I haven't tested it myself
yet. I believe you need ffmpeg, icecast2 and some glue.

Btw, if anyone wants to help out with this project, then fire me a
mail. If you're a student we can arrange for you to get university
credits for your work, though we'll have to figure out how to transfer
those between universities.

juul at labitat.dk