[hackerspaces] Tool marking

Matthew Forr matthew.forr at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 16:42:08 CEST 2010

> 6. Behavioral hack: Train your people find out who something belongs to
> before they change its status permanently as in throw it out, take it away,
> tear it up, be a maker unto it, etc. This has worked best for us, I think.
>  Since we all have phones, it isn't usually hard to get to someone that day
> (or minute) and get an answer.  Teaches us antisocial geeks some social
> skills - how to make a phone call, etc.  This isn't the wastelands, ask a
> brother before you hump on a piece of unattended gear. This fosters
> closeness between members.

We specifically have a 'junk self', 'tool shelf' and 'personal property
shelf' but there's always things that fall in between and I think this
philosophy deals with it the best. We've always talked about doing an
inventory system or labeling or something but that requires manhours that
could be better spent on hacking.

-Matthew