[hackerspaces] Hackerspaces as postmodern learning spheres beyond the virtual

Rose White rose at yarnivore.com
Tue Apr 20 06:23:39 CEST 2010

David -- I'm thrilled that you're working on this -- I hope your prospectus
is accepted by your committee (or however it works in Luxembourg!)

I am a bit tired at the moment, but if you are interested, I have a few
resources I can put together for you to look at. There's particularly one
essay by Howard Becker (a sociologist in the US) about studying a group you
are a part of, which you might enjoy reading. And I have anecdotal evidence
about more than one US hackerspace, and how they have become self-motivated
learning centers, in addition to "merely" places where we go to hack on
things. NYCR has been using MIT OpenCourseware to study topics together, and
other spaces regularly set up classes on topics of interest. There is even a
German class (intermittently) at Noisebridge (as well as other language
classes).

Good luck with your study!

Cheers --

Rose/yarnivore