[hackerspaces] h4x0roam

Georges Toth georges at trypill.org
Mon Apr 19 21:11:42 CEST 2010

On Monday 19 April 2010 18:45:43 Alexandre Dulaunoy wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Georges Toth <georges at trypill.org> wrote:
> > Which inevitably led to a much bigger idea ... why not create a network
> > like eduroam, but for hackerspaces and similar places ?
> >
> > Every hackerspace could have a radius server (either self-managed, or
> > hosted) and link them to other radius servers ultimately allowing
> > hackers around the world to use their same credentials at any access
> > point connected to this radius network !
>
> Sorry for being the devil's advocate why not having an open access wireless
> network? An hackerspace should be a space where everyone should have
> to technology and even Internet? what are really the risks to have an open
> access point? It could be even a nice experiment for a hackerspace to run
> an open network and see if those risks tend to be confirmed or not.

As pointed out by some replies, bandwidth stealing may be a problem.
Considering our location, that might not really be an issue for our space.

We have one issue though which is our alarm system.
Every member has to be able to disable our alarm system, but that access
obviously cannot be "open"... of course that's a local issue only.

Having two nets, one open but restricted, and one closed with more privileges,
works as well.
But up to now we haven't really restricted access to ppl coming to the space.
Although we use a radius server now, we still have "guest" accounts (full
access), even to our printers and other devices.

The idea with using accounts was in no way to restrict ppl, but to allow them
access, using the same account, no matter where they go.
And one does not need to restrict this to spaces, but can have the same at
conferences or other events.
Hence even hook access points of individuals up to this.

--
regards,

Georges Toth

--
HaxoGreen 2010 - the Hackers' Summercamp in Luxembourg
July 22nd till July 25th 2010, in Dudelange, Luxembourg