[hackerspaces] h4x0roam

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Mon Apr 19 20:20:25 CEST 2010

First off, at nycresistor we have an open access point currently.  However,
we have had passwords in the past.  In our rather condensed urban sprawl the
odds of some geographic neighbor using our network is fairly high.  And as a
result the continuing odds of abuse of that resource are high.

We used passwords because of a situation in which a neighbor was eating up
all the traffic and causing many people in the space issues.

Nyc has terrible internet service in general exacerbating the issue is just
plain not cool.

But in regards to your radius idea, I would like to point out the chaosvpn /
agora link initiative being worked on by CCC members, nycresistor, psone,
and more.  I know that there has been talk of using the certs we use on the
mesh vpn such that they would be radius compliant.

Also we are working on foneros, and openwrt images to meet our shared
hackerspace networking needs.

-Matt