[hackerspaces] Inventory Systems

Hellekin O. Wolf (/tmp/lab) hellekin at hackerspaces.org
Sun Sep 13 20:27:23 CEST 2009

On Sun 2009-09-13 at 11:06:43 -0700, john arclight wrote:
> At 23B Shop, we get a lot of scraps and other stuff from local businesses,
> so we basically just put it in labeled bins.  Things that are taking up room
> and not being used eventually go into the "purgatory" bin, where it's liable
> to be thrown out if nobody takes it or uses it.

*** Oh yes! /tmp/lab have lots of labeled boxes for all kinds of stuff.

My favorites are labeled:

 "/tmp/museum": where we put gathered collectibles from other hackerspaces
                (we've got some wicked stuff there, check it out!)
 "lost+found": where we put stuff that doesn't seem to belong to anyone.

The /tmp/library has a lot of books about tech, art, some sci-fi,
politics... Books are marked by their owner and we only keep an inventory of
borrowed books. Anyone taking a book is expected to mark it on the
wiki and send a reminder to others who have borrowed before, which usually
ends up on the mailing-list.

> No database or spreadsheet here.  If we were doing bulk purchases of things
> like electronic components prior to needing them, I think there might be
> value in having inventory controls.
>
> Arclight

*** The inventory at /tmp/lab mostly helps keeping track of given-away
hardware state so far ;o)

==
hk

--
 |_/H\_|     http://hackerspaces.org/                | |o| |
 [_xSx_]     irc://irc.freenode.net/hackerspaces     | | |o|