[hackerspaces] Taxonomy of maker spaces

Koen Martens gmc at sonologic.nl
Fri Oct 23 10:24:34 CEST 2009

Hya,

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 01:41:09PM -0700, Jerry Isdale wrote:
> So as a help to noobs like me, I'd like to discuss some of the terms
> used for various biz models for the generic term of 'Maker Space'.
> Terms like hackerspace, fab lab, tech shop, and names for variants
> outside those.

I have been asking myself 'what is a hackerspace' a lot lately, because i'm
just starting one and need to explain this to eg. potential landlord. I don't
think there is one single answer, this is already evident in the great number
of different hackerspaces: some nothing more than an office unit, others in
multi-story buildings with rooms varying in function, others not having their
own space at all..

Ask anyone on this list what a hackerspace is, and you are likely to get
very different answers.

I, for one, would not want to come up with a single, fits-all definition of
the term, simply because that would deny the great variety that makes all
these spaces so interesting!

Gr,

Koen