[hackerspaces] What form of organization does your hackerspace use?

Seth Hardy shardy at aculei.net
Mon Oct 19 18:35:54 CEST 2009

one thing to consider that, as someone who was on the board of a
hackerspace, i found frustrating:

it's all well and good to say "the board has no special powers, we
should be a one tier membership system." however, in certain cases (such
as when the hackerspace has incorporated and taken on legal
responsibilities under the corporation name), the board has additional
legal and financial responsibilities over the rest of the members. these
responsibilities include ways they are legally obligated to act, as well
as the liabilities if something goes wrong.

the creative direction of the space should be advanced by the members,
but (for example) if someone's name is on the lease, they probably
should have additional authority or "special powers" (but only as much
as is necessary!) to enforce their additional responsibility and
minimize their additional liability.

if you want to avoid thinking of it as "special status," keep the
management and legal obligations separate from creative direction. the
latter can still be run by the members and coexist with the possibility
of "this smaller group of people can kick you out if you light shit on
fire inside." if people act reasonably, the board will never have to act
with this kind of authority.