[hackerspaces] What form of organization does your hackerspace use?

quemener.yves at free.fr quemener.yves at free.fr
Mon Oct 19 17:48:48 CEST 2009

> I think where we'll end up is a board model with heavy membership
> consultation.  So about halfway between board and membership, I
> guess. That's just my feeling, though.  Hard to tell.

I have been pondering this a bit, if the hackerspace in Grenoble ever kicks off, what about the structure ? I think most problems comes from the perceived hierarchy between board members, regular paying members and occasional members. I wonder if a system would work where you would consider the "board" (namely the management of the space, the legalities, the inventory, etc...) as a project like all the others, where people are welcome to contribute or not.

I tend to value more the group of people and the set of projects and consider them independent of the physical space itself. If a space fails for any reason, the projects can survive through transplantation somewhere else.

Maybe this opinion comes from the fact that we don't have a permanent space yet here and that we are all somehow trapped inside a medium-sized city. But I wonder... There is this kind of hierarchical feeling that the managers of the physical space are the bosses of the group, I wonder if it is unavoidable. Sure they can veto some projects happening in their facilities (no amateur pyrotechnics here !) but there is no reason to give them any power to anything not related to the physical space management.

What do you think about this approach ?

Iv