[hackerspaces] Introduction from Birmingham, England

Far McKon farmckon at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 06:10:53 CEST 2009

I was involved in a hackerspace here in Philly before I got involved in
Hive76.   IT was hosted by a nonprofit, and so it was 'free'. Membership was
whoever showed up, and there was not cost. Hive has clearly defined
membership (but is very friendly to visitors) and costs, and (YMMV) that
makes people more active.

I think it comes down to 'buy-in' on the space. Being hosted by someone
else, or having a 'free' or low-cost/free group isn't always the way to go.
For some people/groups/places having your own money on the line, and having
an investment ($50? $60?) gives people a lot more incentive to do stuff,
based on the feeling they are throwing money away unless they are doing
something with or at the space.

just my 0.02.
- Far

----