[hackerspaces] Introduction from Birmingham, England

Martin Mitchell jester.ie at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 00:12:13 CEST 2009

How about working on starting some working group nights?

Over in TOG, hackerspace in Ireland, we have found it good to have
group nights with a certain theme. These nights for us so far are on
Mondays we have Micro-controller Night (Arduino), and Wednesdays we
have a Coding Night. These nights aren't classes, it just encourages
people with similar interests to get together and create an
environment if your soldering or coding. We have found also that it
helps attract members. For example, if people are looking for a weekly
working group for Arduino to bounce ideas off or get troubleshooting
help they can generally find it in TOG on Mondays. Same goes for the
coding night as we get people studying in the space on Wednesdays. But
people also just like to come to the space on those nights and work on
different things, just so they're not working on the space on their
own, it's a better atmosphere.

This also gives us good times to show people the space. If someone
contacts us about joining or checking out our space we will generally
bring them along on a Monday or Wednesday because there are generally
people working away on those night. It gives the space a better feel,
rather then showing them around a space with no people inside.

Jester

TOG, Ireland