[hackerspaces] Introduction from Birmingham, England

dosman dosman at packetsniffers.org
Thu Oct 1 23:00:19 CEST 2009

Having "official" presentations I feel is required to get people
started if they have interest and don't know where to start. But there
needs to be a lot of unfocused time too. You might even think of it as
"class room time" and "shop time", even though it all takes place at
the same table. Also, you are never going to be able to please
everybody. In fact, the day of the week our group meets on was driven
at the request of someone on our mailing list who has yet to attend
one of our meetings, so don't let only a couple neigh-sayers stop you
from trying themed nights out. I do know several people that are
interested on our own group that have not attended a meeting because
we are semi-focused on microcontroller programming for now. Of course
focusing on microcontrollers was just an excuse to get some interested
people together, and at some point I definitely want to have some
nights where we focus on some other things. We would never turn
someone away that came in with a completely unrelated project (that
is, related to making/hacking/building/etc), but sometimes all it
takes is a slight sense that the meetings are not exactly what someone
is seeking and it can throw them off. Take for instance our last
meeting. The official agenda was for me to present some basic Arduino
code and hardware I made for one of my projects. But we started off
the night by making speakers out of coiled wire, permanent magnets,
and plastic cups, then I gave my song and dance, then the night ended
by getting our AVR programmers back in operational condition (lots of
troubleshooting that night).

I'll also add that it may help to document your meetings on your wiki
(I don't mean agenda based meetings, but nights that you are gathering
to work on your projects). For our meetings I have been noting the
number of attendees and also write a very brief outline of what we
did. Not only does this help you remember what happened when, it also
helps you build a sense of history of your group. It can also serve as
a way to show potentially interested people what types of interests
other members have and persuade them to attend even if the main focus
of a particular meeting isn't something they are interested in. Our
group has a few people in it that have pretty large telescopes with
axis control. While we are not focused on astronomy per-say, it ties
in well the idea of making microcontrollers communicate with other
equipment. One night we even had the ISS and Discovery fly overhead
just at the tail end of a meeting, we all went outside and watched it.
Because of that we may attempt to have a scope auto-guide and attempt
to get some photos of the station and other satellites. But noting
that on the wiki helps give a sense of what your group is about,
assuming you are still seeking new members.

-dosman