No subject

Mon Nov 9 20:01:52 CET 2009

"We are looking for and give preference to: unique research, new tool
releases, =D8-day attacks (with responsible disclosure), highly technical
material, social commentaries, and ground breaking material of any kind.
Want to screen a new hacking documentary or release research? Consider DEF
CON."

What I am saying is... the "this is how you start a hackerspace!"
presentation has been given before.  Design Patterns, Hope, Notacon... and =
bunch of other conferences... probably defcon too ( too drunk to remember
much of that con ).

It's not unique, and it's not groundbreaking.  If you want to spread the
word about hackerspaces do something UNIQUE and GROUNDBREAKING.  Get people
to say "hey what's a hackerspace!?"  then they will see the large amount of
material already on the internet concerning them... including the plethora
of fine presentations on how to start one up.

I am not saying I am opposed to the thrust of your goal... just the
execution.

Regards,

   Matt

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Matthew McCabe <matt at mrmccabe.com> wrote:

> In the interest of beating this dead horse a bit less, I will keep this
> short ;)
>
> Matt - hackerspaces are a new thing to 99% of the population...lets
> educate them!
>
> I think it is important to have a hackerspace talk ever year at Defcon
> to educate newbies on what a hackerspace is, how to start one,
> problems, solutions, etc.  I would have loved to hear something like
> this when I was thinking about starting a space rather than walking
> into it more-or-less blindly.
>
> Again, I propose a 15-20 minute talk about how one hackerspace, AHS,
> started as an example of the good, bad, and ugly of starting a space.
> Then open up the floor to questions from people on problems they are
> experiencing starting a space, where to get more info, general
> hackerspace issues that have come up in the last year, etc.  That is
> where you all come in - I would like to get a few more experienced
> founders/members on the panel so that we can give good answers to some
> of the more difficult or controversial questions/problems.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Matt Joyce <matt at nycresistor.com> wrote:
> > This talk has been done to death.  I suggest finding a more original
> topic.
> >
> > On May 9, 2010 12:05 PM, "Bryan Bishop" <kanzure at gmail.com> wrote:

--00c09f8a5118e2693004862f72d3

Most conferences have begged no one to submit a hackerspaces how to talk.<b=
r><br>There&#39;s a reason for this.=A0 It&#39;s repetitive.=A0 No conferen=
ce wants the same talk given as it was given elsewhere.<br><br>That&#39;s t=
he whole point of conferences... to see what &quot;NEW&quot; stuff people a=
re working on.=A0 In fact if you check most request for proposal pages they=
 specifically ask people not to submit talks that have been given elsewhere=
.<br>
 to: unique research, new tool=20
releases, =D8-day attacks (with responsible disclosure), highly technical=
=20
material, social commentaries, and ground breaking material of any kind.
 Want to screen a new hacking documentary or release research? Consider=20
DEF CON.&quot;<br><br>What I am saying is... the &quot;this is how you star=
t a hackerspace!&quot; presentation has been given before.=A0 Design Patter=
ns, Hope, Notacon... and a bunch of other conferences... probably defcon to=
o ( too drunk to remember much of that con ).<br>
 spread the word about hackerspaces do something UNIQUE and GROUNDBREAKING.=
=A0 Get people to say &quot;hey what&#39;s a hackerspace!?&quot;=A0 then th=
ey will see the large amount of material already on the internet concerning=
 them... including the plethora of fine presentations on how to start one u=
p.<br>
">On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Matthew McCabe <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a h=
ref=3D"mailto:matt at mrmccabe.com">matt at mrmccabe.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br=

r-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">In the interest o=
f beating this dead horse a bit less, I will keep this short ;)<br>
Matt - hackerspaces are a new thing to 99% of the population...lets<br>
educate them!<br>
I think it is important to have a hackerspace talk ever year at Defcon<br>
to educate newbies on what a hackerspace is, how to start one,<br>
problems, solutions, etc. =A0I would have loved to hear something like<br>
this when I was thinking about starting a space rather than walking<br>
into it more-or-less blindly.<br>
Again, I propose a 15-20 minute talk about how one hackerspace, AHS,<br>
started as an example of the good, bad, and ugly of starting a space.<br>
Then open up the floor to questions from people on problems they are<br>
experiencing starting a space, where to get more info, general<br>
hackerspace issues that have come up in the last year, etc. =A0That is<br>
where you all come in - I would like to get a few more experienced<br>
founders/members on the panel so that we can give good answers to some<br>
of the more difficult or controversial questions/problems.<br>
Thanks,<br>
Matt<br>
On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Matt Joyce &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:matt at nycr=
esistor.com">matt at nycresistor.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; This talk has been done to death.=A0 I suggest finding a more original=
 topic.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On May 9, 2010 12:05 PM, &quot;Bryan Bishop&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailt=
o:kanzure at gmail.com">kanzure at gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; ---------- Forwarded message ----------<br>
&gt; From: Matthew McCabe &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:matt at mrmccabe.com">matt at mrm=
ccabe.com</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Date: Sun, May 9, 2010 at 10:58 AM<br>
&gt; Subject: [austin-hacker-space] Speaking at Defcon<br>
&gt; To: <a href=3D"mailto:austin-hacker-space at googlegroups.com">austin-hac=
ker-space at googlegroups.com</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I am going to submit a proposal for a talk at Defcon on starting a<br>
&gt; hackerspace. =A0Specifically, I would like to give a short presentatio=
n<br>
&gt; (15-20 minutes) on how we built the Austin Hackerspace and then leave<=
br>
&gt; the remainder of the hour (50 minutes actually) open for questions to<=
br>
&gt; the panel. =A0The panel will hopefully consist of a couple members of<=
br>
&gt; AHS as well as members from other hackerspaces around the world. =A0Th=
at<br>
&gt; way, we will have the combined expertise to answer any &quot;how-to&qu=
ot;<br>
&gt; questions from the audience.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; If you are interested in participating, please e-mail me your bio:<br>
&gt; &quot;This text will be used for the website and printed materials. Co=
ver<br>
&gt; any professional history that is relevant to the presentation,<br>
&gt; including past jobs, tools that you have written, etc. Let people know=
&gt; who you are and why you are qualified to speak on your topic.<br>
&gt; Presentations that are submitted without biographies will not be<br>
&gt; considered.&quot;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Also, please tell me how you plan to contribute to the panel. =A0You<b=
r>
&gt; must be willing to field questions from the audience if you are going<=
br>
&gt; to sit on the panel. =A0Also, you need to be 100% certain that you are=
&gt; going to be in Vegas July 30th - August 1st. =A0The talk may be<br>
&gt; scheduled on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday so you need to be available<b=
r>
&gt; all three days to speak.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The deadline is June 1st - all of the details are here:<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-18/dc-18-cfp-form.html" t=
arget=3D"_blank">http://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-18/dc-18-cfp-form.html</=
a><br>
&gt;<br>