[hackerspaces] Startup publicity and the MAKE: blog

Hans Fraiponts fraiponts at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 18:41:04 CET 2009

Few things, someone who's really interested and hears about a HS in
city X will probably google "hackerspace", get on hs.org and find the
list. I always stress the international aspect when I talk to someone
about our space.

It's not just 'our' space but the connection you get with neighboring
spaces and international links, that makes the hs-experience extra
valuable.

So maybe it's a good thing -if you have media exposure- to put on your
homepage or much linked post, a line that says: "Not from city X? Find
your local space!" and link that to the list on hackerspaces.org

Also, I think by now the make: readers know what a HS is, and they
should be Internet savvy enough to find their local space. A more
interesting challenge would be getting the word out to ppl who are not
yet familiar with the phenomenon, so go out to local youth
initiatives, or event with technical but not it-minded people.

We should remember to stress that it's not just our local space we're
talking about but that there are hundreds of spaces all over the world
working on the same things, this way we all benefit from the '15
minutes' a specific space gets.

Yes we're a local 'oddity', but are part of a global movement, get
that in the article, and everybody wins.

Grts,

Hans F.