[hackerspaces] US hackerspaces - corporation formation and 501(c)3 status

dosman dosman at packetsniffers.org
Thu May 28 21:48:36 CEST 2009

Thanks everyone for responding. Nicolle, I believe we met briefly at
Notacon via Eric. We do intend to consult a local lawyer, but from
what it sounds like we should do that before doing much else. It also
sounds like the legalzoom "instant corporation" could be useful, but
only if you already know what you are getting into or else it could be
a double edged sword. We will certainly be working with other non-
profits in our area to get help too. We also understand that the
bylaws/articles of incorporation need to be ironed out with specifics
met to appease the IRS beast.

I am still interested in others experiences with the 501(c)3 paperwork
since that is federal and a common process regardless of the state.
I'm not looking for legally binding advice, just curious what others
experiences have been regarding to "hackers get tax-exempt status " -
what the IRS liked or didn't like about your organization - with
intent for others to avoid the potholes you drove through.

Thanks,
-dosman