[hackerspaces] More kids+hackerspaces stuff...

Dave Giancaspro dave.giancaspro at gmail.com
Fri May 15 12:39:29 CEST 2009

I was at a circuit bending workshop one time and a mom brought her son who
was around 9 years old.  The kid comes up to me, after showing off one of a
robot he bought in a thrift shop, and asks to use the soldering iron.  I
immediately turned to the mom who gave me a nod.  He did what he needed to
do and went on his merry way.

The mom told me she and her husband were non-technical. She had no idea why
her son what got her son interested in electronics.  She felt if that's what
he was into she would get him out to places where he can get exposed to what
he loved.

Without a parent there that kid would have had no shot getting the soldering
iron from me .  Lucky for him he had a mom who figured out how to raise a
hacker.

Dave