[hackerspaces] Video conferencing

Andreas Kupfer kupfer at 42h.de
Thu May 14 19:39:51 CEST 2009

On Wed, 13 May 2009 17:36:58 -0500
Matt <brimstone at the.narro.ws> wrote:

Hi,

> > Does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap/free video conferencing
> > solution?  We have a microphone/webcam/LCD projector and would like to
> > have an open video/voice bridge with other participants when we do
> > events at our space.
> >
> > We use Webex at work, but this ain't work.   Suggestions are welcomed.
>
> My suggestion is http://www.dimdim.com/
> They're open source and have a hosting solution if you don't have
> the bandwidth or hardware to run your own.

It works, but it's OpenSource Software from hell. As soon as you want to
leave the beaten path (eg. encryption) you're on own. The documentation is
non-existent and there is no community. But if anybody has question feel
free to ask.

Yours,

Andreas aka ScottyTM
--
"I do note with interest that old women in my books become young women on
the covers... this is discrimination against the chronologically gifted."