[hackerspaces] Video conferencing

t t at c-base.org
Thu May 14 02:27:03 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 14:59 -0700, john arclight wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap/free video conferencing
> solution?  We have a microphone/webcam/LCD projector and would like to
> have an open video/voice bridge with other participants when we do
> events at our space.

> We use Webex at work, but this ain't work.   Suggestions are welcomed.

i am currently working with a quite simple solution.

ffmpeg for getting the audio/video stream and converting it to theora
oggfwd for sending it to a icecastserver
icecast for streaming it via http
firefox 3.5 beta for playing the video (projection in fullscreen)

enriching the view with
(icecast-web/irc-webchat/pastebin/twitter/flickr/foo)
in iframes or whatever depending on what i want to have on the screen.

t.