[hackerspaces] Thread which I nominate for death: "Hackingthe Spaces: A critical acclaim of what was, is and could be a hackerspace "

druid at stonedcoder.org druid at stonedcoder.org
Mon May 11 23:47:37 CEST 2009

Implicitly, off list in private emails, but yeah 3rics email did not call
out moving the thread so much as simply killing it.

It's appropriate now to maybe just say

"in the future, if you feel a thread is inappropriate or damaging, feel
free to file a request for it to be moved off list, respectfully, and see
if your request gets seconded and thirded"

this will at least hopefully serve to either force discussion on what
about the offending thread is harmful or inappropriate. This does not
prevent anyone from sending emails, so is not censorship, more
organizational self correction.

In major US corps it's common to see a manager send an email stating "THIS
THREAD WILL NOT CONTINUE!" as an ultimatum, especially with senior
engineers who often enjoy belaboring the point, well past the point of
diminishing returns. This is not a good practice for a community of peers,
so the "I request this thread be moved off list" and waiting for second
and third votes is more appropriate.

-Eric