[hackerspaces] Hacking the Spaces: A critical acclaim of what was, is and could be a hackerspace (or hacklab, for that matter)

Thomas Brunner pirates.and.bees at googlemail.com
Mon May 11 18:58:27 CEST 2009

>i'm all for discussion about this topic. that being said...
>it's hard to enter a discussion with someone who calls your viewpoint
nonsense before you even get a word in.

Sorry that I'm the first one to tell you that there is a political dimension
in all we are doing. I hope it wasn't too rude of me...

Fact is that there is a long tradition of hackerspaces in the field of
leftist (or rather leftist) counterculture. Of course you can do whatever
you like in your little hackerspace in 2009. All I ask for is a certain
amount of _respect_ for the difficult work that was done back then. Work
that was be far more challenging than plugging in a soldering iron and
bringing a Wii. We shouldn't forget that.

Concerning the essay's remarks about gender and whitemaleness: I would be
the happiest person alive if it wasn't true... but it is.
I see the text not as a way to discredit the movement. No, I think they
really care about it.

~Bee~