[hackerspaces] Hacking the Spaces: A critical acclaim of what was, is and could be a hackerspace (or hacklab, for that matter)

Thomas Brunner pirates.and.bees at googlemail.com
Mon May 11 12:58:42 CEST 2009

Hello folks,

this is my first mail here. My name is Thomas (or Bee). My background: I
very much consider myself a hardware troublemaker. I'm based in Southern
Germany.

I'm very happy that Johannes posted his essay. I really enjoyed it and I
think it was time for someone to write such a statement.
There is a clear historic dimension to what we are doing and simply ignoring
it doesn't work and it would be an incredible waste of valueable knowledge.
Concerning the old "oh we are so apolitical" nonsense... The essay was
posted on Boing Boing yesterday (great!) and it seems it already started a
broad discussion on many blogs. One of the comments reads as follows:
"Agree, disagree, or think their point is moot - I think the important
factor of monochrom's piece (and much of their other work) is that it
reminds us that the stuff we'd be doing anyway has an intensely political
aspect, whether we acknowledge it or not."

~Bee~