[hackerspaces] please link to your bylaws

Jeff Davis jeff at textsfornothing.com
Fri Mar 6 00:07:21 CET 2009

On 2009-03-05 08:21, Nick Farr (HacDC) wrote:
 > HacDC's bylaws are heavily customized to defer the balance of power
 > away from an elected Board of Directors towards the membership itself.
 >
 > They were also written with the idea of achieving resolution to
 > problems outside of meetings, to move towards consensus among the
 > entire group outside of the context of a typical meeting.

VHS's draft bylaws have a similar aim.  Our directors retain the usual
powers, but decisions at directors' meetings and general meetings
require consensus, or if consensus can't be reached, an 80%
supermajority.  In practice, our directors will do very little;
decisions are made by consensus at our weekly meetings.

Our draft bylaws (not yet approved by any government!):
http://vancouver.hackspace.ca/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=vhs_bylaws_draft1.pdf

They are pretty bare-bones -- they're just a slight variation on the
default bylaws included in BC's Society Act, which governs non-profits
in this province.  I expect that we'll develop some additional rules at
our first AGM to formally limit directors' authority, elaborate on the
membership structure, clarify weekly meetings, and so on.

--
Jeff Davis
Vancouver Hack Space