[hackerspaces] June conference call

strages strages at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 04:20:56 CEST 2009

Hi, I believe you're referring to Makers Local 256.  We started out by the
original ten members pledging what they think they could afford a month,
added all of it up, and found a place that fit within that budget.  Our
first place was small but we made due and after a year we now have a place
three times the size and have more than doubled membership.  We decided to
take this original idea for funding and extend it to new members.   It's
been working out pretty well for us so far.  We get our bills paid.  We're
in a college town with a lot of students from out of state and so this way
we don't exclude anyone and we have a pretty wide degree of skillsets
because of it.  People for the most part are good, and so they'll pay what
they feel is reasonable.  We've actually had several members increase the
amount they're contributing due to getting a better job.  Really shows the
dedication of our members for keeping the place and the idea alive.

Raymond (strages)
Makers Local 256