[hackerspaces] Interconnecting Semantic Media Wikis (HSF round-table topic)

Tobias Wolter towo at koeln.ccc.de
Thu Jul 2 14:48:09 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 12:26 +0200, Bartosz Kostrzewa wrote:
> The problem with that is that the "same" project will be named RepRap at
> /tmp/lab, MakerBot at NYCR and BorgReplicator in Bochum. I suppose HSs
> hosting the "same" project could agree on a common "UberName".

I wouldn't necessarily suppose that all the projects need the same name.
I havent't yet busied myself with looking into SMW, but IMHO it would be
better to to declare types for projects -like, "RepRap"- which one would
have to specify in a project markup.

With some pseudocode for easier understanding:
{{project|
name="Random HackerSpace's Awesome RepRap"
type="RepRap"
foo=bar
etc
}}

If multiple HS fall back on a too common project name, I'd contemplate
(pre|suf)fixing a source identifier to any and all project names, thus
having you end up with names like
  * RepRap (Metalab)
  * RepRap (NYCR)
etc - ignoring name disputes of two or more hackerspaces with a shared
short name.

Thus, the only normalization in names one would need is defining types,
which in itself should not be that hard. Other ideas for types ranging
from "course" to "world domination" jostle around in my head right now.

-towo