[hackerspaces] Interconnecting Semantic Media Wikis (HSF round-table topic)

Hellekin O. Wolf (/tmp/lab) hellekin at hackerspaces.org
Thu Jul 2 11:47:31 CEST 2009

On Thu 2009-07-02 at 11:22:59 +0200, Bartosz Kostrzewa wrote:
> Hellekin O. Wolf (/tmp/lab) wrote:
> > /tmp/lab is running a MW too, without the semantic extension. Should be
> > available soon though.
> >
> > I put the http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Projects page online for indication
> > of what we'd like to have. Where do you think automation could kick in with
> > regards to the Semantic Wiki extension?
> >

> Hi,
>
> #short info
>
> All the short info you listed in the linked wikipage can be completely
> automated, as long as we manage to establish some standard regarding tags.
>
> #detailed info
>
> I don't think detailed project information should be transferred to
> hackerspaces.org since that is reproduced on the given hackerspace's
> wiki page anyway. A link to the original page should be more than enough
> IMHO as a source for detailed info.

*** That's the point: having a single page introducing the project in
general terms, and linking to *as many* hackerspaces project pages *as
possible*. If a project has spin-offs in 10 hackerspaces, having a
"detailed page" for all links is much better than having a single page
listing all projects and all hackerspaces at once. I guess.

> #participation, join etc..
>
> Methods for joining projects should probably not be on hackerspaces.org
> because they're specific to the HS you're participating in. Having said
> that, adding "participant" tags to SMW is easy and these can be pulled
> from the DB for display at hackerspace.org.
>
> At syn2cat we have "who" and "head" tags. (head is the main project
> contact). Up to now we've used "who" as an indication of who the project
> is for ('everyone' is almost all cases), but who's participating
> probably makes more sense.
>
> #notes and problems
>
> There's a slight problem in that some spaces (such as Bochum AFAIK) run
> a multilingual wiki so I'm not sure how to deal with that.

*** English should be preferred for all outgoing links, but if a hackerspace
has all or most of its documentation in a local language, then this language
should be specified (e.g.: DE). The simplest thing that could possibly work :)

> Another problem is grouping: many projects will be available at
> different hackerspaces at the same time (such as the reprap). I suppose
> the page could be structured as such:

*** Exactly the opposite we want to achieve:

Project A | 5 hackerspaces | ...

> Category
> 	Subcategory
> 		SubSubCaterogy
> 			HS1
> 				* project A
> 				* project B
> 				* project C
> 			HS2
> 				* project C
> 				* project D
> 				* project E
>
> Or, if spaces hosting the same / similar projects can agree on common
> naming schemes:
>
> Category
> 	Subcategory
> 		SubSubCategory

*** I'd prefer sorting by project name, and having the categories as tags,
or inside the description.

> 			* project A
> 				HS1
>
> 			* project B
> 				HS1
>
> 			* project C
> 				HS1
> 				HS2
>
> 			* project D
> 				HS2
>
> 			*project E
> 				HS2
>
> -Bartek

==
hk

--
 |_/H\_|     http://hackerspaces.org/                | |o| |
 [_xSx_]     irc://irc.freenode.net/hackerspaces     | | |o|