[hackerspaces] insuring a hackerspace

Tilman Frosch til at das-labor.org
Tue Jan 27 18:32:20 CET 2009

Am Dienstag, den 27.01.2009, 09:26 -0600 schrieb jur1st:

> At CCCKC insurance coverage is a condition of our lease agreement so
> we are grudgingly going through the process of getting coverage right
> now.

As Das Labor has just moved into its new location (about a month ago),
we face similar paperwork. Our current lessor (and therefore our lease
agreement) requires us to insure the place against things like natural
hazard etc., so we already talked to several insurance companies. They
all want to have a look at the location to assess the potential risks
as well as the value the contract should cover. Progress is slow atm,
we are still setting up parts of our infrastructure, which we consider
more important for the Lab to work.

We also discussed an insurance against theft, as the Labor's content is
much more visible now, as the new location comes with a large bank of
windows on ground level. This brought up the whole topic of 'what is
our stuff worth?'. Currently postponed.

Our last location was not insured at all though ...

Til