[hackerspaces] New hackerspace in Bulgaria

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 27 01:40:36 CET 2009

Hi Vladimir,

I'm glad you found the Design Patterns.  I hope you find them as inspiring as we did.  I'm also totally fine answering questions and giving whatever support I can.  As far as I'm concerned, this is one of the main purposes for Hackerspaces.org.

At Noisebridge we have a "do-ocracy", which is similar to a meritocracy.  If someone wants to do something that will have an affect on the group or the space, we ask that they bring it up at a meeting after talking about it with others (and/or posting to our wiki, and/or talking on our IRC channel).  If anyone has objections we talk about it till everyone's happy enough about moving forward.  Then people are free to do it.  If it's something that requires certain skills, people form smaller committees who are empowered to do it, and they report back to the group.

Cheers,
Mitch.

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:03:24 +0200From: vladimir.vassilev at startup-bg.orgTo: discuss at lists.hackerspaces.orgSubject: Re: [hackerspaces] New hackerspace in BulgariaHi, guys,Thanks for the mails so far!@Peter, I did watched one of all the recordings, but had no time to check 'em all. In fact it was one of these movies, that enlightened me about your (of Metalab) presence. I hope one day I'll have a little more time to have a better look at all the materials you gave me.'Bout the wiki issue, of course RTFM, but that didn't help. I still can't find a way to edit the label of the page from those forms (and can't find it in manual also) but this doesn't matter right now - thanks for the fix!As for Veni Markovski, this guy is really popular here, I just didn't knew he could help us in this, so thanks again for directing us to him!@Mitch, yes, I did read the design patterns, but I prefer to get personal opinions from people like you :)And about those 30 people.. they are not our members, they just came to our first meeting and seemed interested to the stuff. We will see through time how much will stay interested.By the way, we are considering applying meritocracy as an order in our organization (having Apache Software Foundation as an example). Do you have any observations on these?Wish you all the best and a nice evening for Europeans or a pleasant day for Americans!Vladimir Vassilevinit Labmobile: +359 885 44 84 75web site: initlab.startup-bg.org

Hello, Vladimir, As Peter said, there is no one right way to organize a hacker space.  I assume you already saw the Hacker Space Design Patterns, but if not, please do -- it is a great resource!  It was a great inspiration in starting Noisebridge, the space I helped start in San Francisco. Noisebridge has no hiearchy (though we are required to have certain "officers" as required by California law, since we are a California public benefit non-profit corportation) -- officers and board members have the same power as every other member (plus they do a lot of the drudge work to keep Noisebridge alive, but they are not the only ones, since lots of people help), and we run by consensus whenever possible, and so far this has worked out great for us. Congratulations on already having a group of 30 people!  Keep doing what you're doing, since you are certainly doing a lot right if you have a good group of people already. There is also no "correct" order of doing things.  Noisebridge started having weekly meetings over a year before we had our space, and we also started having get-togethers for projects long before getting our space.  But once we got our space we asked for donations and within 24 hours received $12,000 -- way more than anyone expected (which came in very handy, since San Francisco is a very expensive place for rent). Best of luck on your continued success. Please feel free to ask more questions. Cheers,Mitch.  -----------------> Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 20:58:28 +0100> From: peter at null.priv.at> To: discuss at lists.hackerspaces.org> Subject: Re: [hackerspaces] New hackerspace in Bulgaria