[hackerspaces] talk at BIL about hacker spaces

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 2 02:52:12 CET 2009

Anyone going to BIL?  I just added a talk proposal about our hacker space movement and Hackerspaces.org.

So far, me and Lukas Fittl are psyched to be creating this presentation.

If you'll be at BIL, please join me and Lukas in giving our talk!  We would love the company!  Please reply, and let's come up with a great presentation.

Here's what I wrote up:
http://bil.nowgetsocial.com/talk/details/83
Just in case the link doesn't work, here is the text.  I think I can change it, if anyone has suggestions:

The Hacker Space Movement

Hacker spaces have been around for years. But something is afoot! In the past several months new hacker spaces have been popping up all over our planet -- and established hacker spaces have become way more popular. There is even an international organization called Hackerspaces.org that exists to promote the continuation and formation of hacker spaces everywhere. Coinciding with this unprecedented movement is a growing popularity of hacker conferences, Maker Faires, Dorkbots, crafting groups, other geeky groups. What is going on here? And how can you benefit? Mitch (co-founder of Noisebridge, a hacker space in San Francisco) and other members of Hackerspaces.org will talk about their experiences and outlooks, including how to start your own hacker space where you live.

Proposed By: Mitch Altman
I bought a plane ticket to go to Long Beach.  Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time, so I get into Long Beach Airport at 8:28am on Saturday, and I leave at 7:45pm on Sunday.  I'm sharing a hotel room with Lukas.  I think it would be fine if others want to share the room with us.  Let us know.

Cheers,
Mitch.