[hackerspaces] Crash Space Updates

Sean Bonner seanbonner at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 19:08:41 CET 2009

Hey Hackerspacetypes-

Just wanted to give you a brief update on the world according to Crash Space..

Almost exactly 2 months from the date I posted the call to arms that I
was going to open a hackerspace in Los Angeles and anyone who wanted
to be a part of it should come out, we got the keys to our 1400sf
building in Culver City (which to those of you unfamiliar with LA is
pretty much dead center of the west side of town, very close to 2
major freeways which is important).

We started having events at the space this weekend with a 3 day long
MakerBot MakeIn. We had 5 bots in attendance, one which was built from
scratch, and 4 of which actually printed things by the end. Pics and
more details on that will be up on our blog shortly:

http://blog.crashspace.org/

We had our first big monthly meeting (which will always be on the last
Tuesday of each month) last night and brought all the members up to
speed of what we hope to pull off in the next 30 days or so. Speaking
of members, our goal has been to have 20 members by the end of January
2010, We started taking memberships last week and as of right now we
already have 17 paying members and it's still 2009. A closer look at
our budget suggests we'd be better off with 30 paying members but
we're so far ahead of schedule that I'l be shocked if we don't hit 30
by the end of Jan.

We are starting to get our events in order, with weekly Radio Mondays
nights, Tuesday meetings, a monthly Makerbot day, a bike repair day,
show and tell night, FAIL club, and more. We expect to have a set
programming night, a craft night, and a hardware night each week too.
Existing cal is here:

http://blog.crashspace.org/events/

Anyway, we're stupidly excited about it all so far, and I just wanted
to send a huge amount of thanks for all the (international) support
we've gotten and can't wait to be a part of the awesome that will be
2010.

Hope to see many of you soon!
-sean

--