[hackerspaces] Abbenay hackspace building status

Kris Gesling krisgesling at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 22:52:42 CET 2009

I think there are cultural differences but I'd also be surprised if
there was no one squatting in the usa too. In australia I know there
is a large squatters movement but I never really knew it existed until
I met those people, here its not something that is publicized very
widely.

The other interesting thing here is that it's also used by the rich to
get more property. Even multi-million dollar mansions, if they haven't
had their council rates paid for a decade and you pay them, that can
be evidence of you 'taking care of the place for 7 years'. So you get
the house for just 100k or so. Not to mention a form of squatters
rights is what the commonwealth bases its occupation of this country
on.

They came and didn't think the current occupants were adequately
utilizing the space so they moved in and started shooting them. The
same argument is still used, 'we've been here for 200 years now, you
can't expect us to just give land back'.

I do see these different instances as morally different but just
wanted to show the different ways such laws are used.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Gez

On 12/27/09, Robert Ward <robert.t.ward at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this may be one of those cultural differences that people are
> always talking about.  Forgive me if I make incorrect wide sweeping
> assumptions.
>
> I can tell you that in the US, people focus on what's good and right
> for an individual; in cases like this, it's what's good and right for
> the landowner.  It seems like in other countries they have begun to
> move on to placing more importance on what's good for the society as a
> whole.  I'm not trying to make a value judgement as to which is
> better, just that it's a difference.
>
> It is somewhat reflective in the laws of the countries, but I believe
> it is noticeable more in the attitudes of the people.  For example,
> when implementing the idea of starting a hackerspace, Deech and I
> ( and a lot of others ), started a corporation, searched out rental
> property, drew up bylaws and a constitution, set up a bank account,
> and even started looking for partners in local businesses.  Over
> there, they simply move into an empty building that isn't being used
> for anything, and go to town.
>
> Just to reiterate again, I'm not trying to say that either way is
> better, but I think this may be a hurdle that those of us trying to
> bridge hacker communities around the world may have to deal with.
>
> Anyone want to tell me that I'm a stupid American who knows nothing
> about other cultures?
>
> ~Bob

Sent from my mobile device