[hackerspaces] "Survey finds more in U.S. avoid hands-on projects or repairs"

Ron Bean bucketworks at rbean.users.panix.com
Sat Dec 12 19:46:07 CET 2009

I saw this in the local newspaper this morning:
http://www.jsonline.com/business/79067122.html

|"Many Americans simply do not work with their hands anymore, whether
|it's to tackle a hobby for pleasure or to handle a necessary household
|repair. Young people essentially have no role models when it comes to
|fixing things or taking pride in building something," said Gerald
|Shankel, Fabricators and Manufacturers Association president.

I couldn't find this mentioned anywhere else on the web.

I could certainly tell them why people don't want factory jobs--
zero job security. But other kinds of technical jobs are different.
Many of them *can't* be outsourced, because they have to be performed in
person, on site.