[hackerspaces] Hacklab and social center in Malmo raided

Christoffer Jerkeby kugghjul at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 16:16:55 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 4:04 PM, jaromil <jaromil at dyne.org> wrote:

> FYI: http://www.indymedia.dk/articles/1387
>
> !!!! please distribute widely
>
> At 20.45 on Saturday the 28th of November the police raided the social
> centre Utkanten in  Malmö, where the hackerspace Forskningsavdelningen
> is housed. Twenty officers in full  riot gear and ski masks broke into
> the space through the entrance and a backdoor, using crowbars. Shortly
> thereafter  twenty  to  thirty  more  showed  up,  mostly  dressed  as
> civilians and some of  them IT technicians from Länskriminalen (county
> police), who are  suspected to be interested in  the hackerspace. They
> stayed in the building for about six hours.
>
> The official  reason for the raid was  to do a “pub  check” because of
> the suspicion that there was  illegal selling of alcohol going on. The
> allegedly  illegal club  activity was  a punk  concert, with  about 40
> guests at the time of the  raid. After the raid the cops evacuated the
> building,  searched through  it and  confiscated a  lot of  stuff. The
> police was indiscriminate  as to whose effects were  removed, taking a
> lot  of  equipment  from  Forskningsavdelningen and  peoples  personal
> computers, even though the hackerspace was unaffiliated with the group
> arranging the concert downstairs.
>
> At  the   time  of   the  raid  there   were  about  five   people  at
> Forskningsavdelningen. All of us were searched and photographed. Those
> who  criticized the  harrasment were  threatened  to be  taken to  the
> station for “drug tests”. Overall the police seemed hostile.
>

> What did they take? We have gone  through our stuff and made a list of
> what is definitely missing, but since  the cops havent given us a list
> of what they’ve taken we might have missed some stuff.
>
>    * 3 laptops
>
>    * 1 media computer, refurbished
>
>    * 2 office computers, refurbished
>
>    * 1 gaming computer, 6500 SEK
>
>    * 1 digital camera, Canon Powershot
>
>    * 1 external 2.5″ hard drive
>
>    * 2 key cutters
>
>    * lock-picking practice locks (cut-away)
>
>    * 1 network router (Linksys WRT-54G)
>
>    * 1 wlan dishes antenna
>
>    * 1 pocket calculator (casio)
>
>    * 5 bottles of rum (Bacardi)
>
>    * blank keys, to a value of 200 SEK (not more?)
>
>    * material for building metal lockpicks
>
>    * metal files
>
>    * 1 backpack
>
> We need your support! We all  feel really offended by this and some of
> the confiscated equipment is going to  be hard to replace. If you want
> to help us there are some things you can do:
>
>    * Publish an open letter of support and send us the link
>
>    * We’re gonna need  to replace some equipment. If  you have any of
>      the following  stuff and want to  donate it, please  bring it on
>      tuesday or send us a mail.
>      - any “modern” pc to use as an office computer, we’re gonna need
>        a couple  of them  (we still have  two or three  monitors and,
>        plz, no CRT’s
>      - some kind of wifi router

> [...]

Thanks Jaro,
Details about the place and further explanations is found here:
http://hack.org/mc/writings/hackerspace-raided.html

A video from inside and outside the raid is found here:
http://bambuser.com/channel/forskningsavd/broadcast/346641

Look at the videos marked with "Raid" from the same user.

Also the original article is found here:
http://forskningsavd.se/2009/11/29/i-can-haz-moar-bout-teh-reid/

We need your support and understanding. There is lots of trackbacks in
english to the last url, please read them to make your own opinion.

Regards Kugg from forskningsavd.se