[hackerspaces] Respect the Past, Examine the Present, Build the Future

dosman dosman at packetsniffers.org
Fri Aug 28 06:57:42 CEST 2009

Interesting food for thought all around, I've enjoyed reading this
thread. I mostly agree with everything expressed except some of the
content in the last paragraph of your response.

No one is keeping us down or keeping us from organizing ourselves. The
industrial age has only allowed us to get lazy, not kept us from
reaching out further. If "The Man" is the only one creating or
profiting it is because we allow "him" to (you can take this in many
ways). And in a way, "The Man" dared to reach out and create the
factory so is he not the capitalistic hacker? Organizing ourselves
again to have spaces to freely create and reuse does give us our own
power back, but only because we want that power back again, not
because it was taken away from us. In order for someone to insult you,
you must agree to feel insulted by their words. In the same way, in
order for someone to take power away from you (in the sense of
knowledge and the ability to create technology) you must agree to give
it up as well, or at least complacent about accepting it's beyond your
capability.

Thanks,
-dosman