[hackerspaces] Shop Access Control System

john arclight arclight at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 19:24:00 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I'm working on an open-source "Alarm Shield" for the Arduino.  It will have
a 5V/12V bus, NO/NC 10A relays, sensor zone inputs and 2 keypad inputs.  We
plan to use the Ethernet shield for event-based logging and alerting to a
remote server.   I like the work the Das Labor folks have done, and I'd like
to extend this idea into an easy-to-install "shield" format.

We have found reasonably-priced door hardware (US$50-150) that will adapt
the various standard commercial doors to electric locking with minimal
modification.  The alarm sensors and assorted hardware are also inexpensive
and robust.

The biggest challenge I'm having is finding a nice heavy-duty keypad or
keypad/prox-card reader to install outside.  I would prefer to use
off-the-shelf Wiegand-26 or a similar published protocol.

While we could use one of the inexpensive RFID readers, I'd like to be able
to use a keypad for one-time opening codes, letting someone in for the day,
etc.

Does anyone have a source for new or used outdoor keypads that aren't
US$250+ each?

Thanks,

Arclight