[hackerspaces] Hackerspace in Poland - hackerspace.pl

Marcin Kaszynski marcin at elksoft.pl
Thu Apr 16 16:25:58 CEST 2009

Hi everyone,

time for me to stop lurking and say hello :)

I am one of the people building a hackerspace in Warsaw; you might have
seen or heard a mention during last call-in -- olleolleolle and kugg
flew all the way here to talk about it at http://bootstrap.pl, our
monthly developer meetup. We have started very recently, so we are
looking for more people, the right place and ways to finance it.

One of my main concerns is making the place sustainable, either by
finding enough members to cover expenses out of their (relatively small)
fees or by finding other sources of income. We might be able to find a
place very cheaply (I know some of you were lucky enough to get one for
free -- great!), but it is hard to depend on that.

We are looking into the obvious ways like grants and government
programs, but my question is: what are your experiences with other
sources of income? I know that selling drinks and supplies like solder
is an option. Does that provide enough money to justify the burden of
keeping stock, dealing with suppliers and doing other non-hackery stuff?
What about other commercial activities like renting out parts of the
space for coworking or paid workshops? Are they worth it and doable
without interfering with the main purpose of the place?

The goal here is not to create a company, but to make the money flow
stable enough so that we don't have to worry about it.

I'll be most grateful for all suggestions.

Cheers,
-Marcin

--
http://marcinkaszynski.com/