No subject

Sun Jul 20 09:27:59 CEST 2008

Keep telling everyone you know and everyone you meet.  I found that the way
I express things makes a big difference -- when I express it with an
attitude of:  "this is happening, are you interested?" rather than, "I am
thinking of starting a hacker space" I get a lot more enthusiastic
will find it snowballs, and gets bigger on its own.  And if any media gets
hold of the story, it will attract lots of cool people.  This is a really
good time to be starting a hacker space.  There's been so much good press
around the world, and more is about to hit the stands (and screens)!  I just
had an interview last night with one of the reporters who was responsible
for the nice Irish Times article that just came out last night -- he is
about to write another for the Christian Science Monitor, which should also
be way high profile, which I'm guessing will attract even more people to
want to be part of hacker spaces.

Hack on,
/astera

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 4:58 PM, <fhcastle at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to start a hackerspace here in PCB but so far I have received
> very little interest.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions to get the word out?
>
> I have put up flyers, started a Google group (sandbox42), and emailed
> everyone and anyone that might be interested. But have gotten very little
> feedback so far, is this typical?
>
> Thanks,
> Frank

--00163646c442d908be046741aa25

Hey Frank,<br><br>I believe you didn&#39;t receive the answers to your e-ma=
il, since you&#39;re not subscribed to the mailing list (I just sent you an=
 invite btw) - therefore, I&#39;m forwarding you the suggestions people gav=
e you on the list:<br>
:<br><br>Find robotics clubs, software user groups, etc in your area and e-=
mail<br>
them all with a personal message. Also, put together press releases<br>
and send them out to papers, radio, and tv networks to see if any of<br>
br>From my Grenoble (France) experience, yes.<br>
I had a better chance going into some local related non-profits and talking=
 to friends of friends of friends...<br>
I had contacts through another hacklab, through a roleplaying group,
through a skeptics group and through a science educator association.<br>
Posting here is a good start :-)<br>
Good luck !<br>
I see a lot of good contact info on there :)<br>
=A0 I found that the
way I express things makes a big difference -- when I express it with
an attitude of:=A0 &quot;this is happening, are you interested?&quot; rathe=
r than,
&quot;I am thinking of starting a hacker space&quot; I get a lot more
enthusiastic responses.=A0 Once you get a small handful of people way
into it, I think you will find it snowballs, and gets bigger on its
own.=A0 And if=A0any media gets hold of the story, it will attract lots of
cool people.=A0 This is a really good time to be starting a hacker
space.=A0 There&#39;s been so much good press around the world, and more is
about to hit the stands (and screens)!=A0=A0I just had an interview last
night with one of the reporters who was responsible for the nice Irish
Times article that just came out last night -- he is about to write
another for the Christian Science Monitor, which should also be way
high profile, which I&#39;m guessing will attract even more people to want
 class=3D"gmail_quote">On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 4:58 PM,  <span dir=3D"ltr">=
 wrote:<br>
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">I am trying to st=
art a hackerspace here in PCB but so far I have received very little intere=
st.<br>
 up flyers, started a Google group (sandbox42), and emailed everyone and an=
yone that might be interested.  But have gotten very little feedback so far=
, is this typical?<br>
Discuss mailing list<br>
s.org</a><br>