[BACH] Insuring hacker and maker spaces in the Bay Area

Liz Henry lizhenry at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 02:59:02 CEST 2021

Hi there Bay Area Hackerspaces & friends,

I got a question recently asking for recommendations for insurance
providers who understand maker space needs and what we do.

Here's some of the recommendations I would like to share:

Noisebridge:
Philadelphia Insurance Co.
877.438.7459
https://www.phly.com/

Double Union:
Farmers Insurance
Shannon Fenech
contact: Adam insuru24 at gmail.com

Queerious:
Ambere St Denis
Crimson Business Insurance
https://www.crimsoninsurance.com/ambere-st-denis

Safer DIY Spaces
Not insurance, but can help connect spaces with inspections, permits,
services, legal issues, contractors, etc.
https://saferdiyspaces.org/

For a large space, I would say, expect to pay around 2K a year. A smaller
space, probably a little under 1K.  And it's been a while since I've gone
through the process, but I recall needing to answer a fair amount of
questions about membership, open hours, etc. as well as sharing our
non-profit paperwork and our mission.

Hope that helps! Maybe others have recommendations to add!

- Lizzard