[sudoroom] Meeting Notes

Matthew Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 07:58:04 CEST 2012

9/5/2012

attendees: matt, anthony, deno, rusty, garrett, leann, eddan, jason,
rachel, sheldon, trey

   1. Announcements

   1. CryptoParty (Sun Sept 23rd or later)

   1. Global cryptography themed unconference where folks are allowed to
   set up various workshops and sessions.

   1. There was a discussion on the Sudo Room IRC channel

   1. Idea came up for two tracks - beginners and "more advanced"

   1. Some request having the event at end of month, seems the trajectory
   is near then anyhow.

   1. Cryptoparty organizing sesh after main meeting

   1. SudoSuite

   1. A software suite for implementing the basic logistical features for
   running sudo room, including:

   1. Manage Budget + Accounting

   1. Take payments,

   1. Manage internal

   1. Events, space reservation, etc

   1. Knowledgebase?

   1. Inventory tracking

   1. Door access.

   1. More TBD

   1. Will be shared to a public git repository soon.

   1. Will hold a group after meeting as well to work on this.

   1. Need to do some review of other existent software, especially
   hackerspaces.org stuff

   1. Exchequer Tasks

   1. Still need to:

   1. Reserve fictitious business name

   1. who goes

   1. what info gets filled in

   1. Open bank account

   1. who signs on account

   1. Determine members (those who signed compact thusfar)

   1. Inquire of members what rooms we should rent, come to a conclusion

   1. Take over Contract for 2135 Broadway

   1. Figure out recommended dues, set up a collection interface, and
   membership interface

   1. decide what rooms to definitively rent

   1. take over lease

   1. Art Murmur (First Fridays)

   1. Wishing Tracy was here!

   1. Clothes hacking, including "stupid" clothes (no electronics) and
   those embedded with conductive thread and curcuits!

   1. Lots of sewing machines set up

   1. We need to promote the event!
   http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Sudo_room/Compact

   1. Conflict with Art Murmur: 2600 Meeting in Bay Area (first friday of
   the month)

   1.

   1. Fiscal Solvency (read more:
   http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Sudo_room/Compact )

   1.

   1. Endorsements (consensus process)

   1. Proposal: Free Bradley Manning Endorsement

Split into Groups:

*1. Cryptoparty*   (other notes at  http://openetherpad.org/Z7qnzVh9A4)

   - agree that we should have pratical, hands-on help with using security
   technology.

  Rough idea for a workshop format -
http://www.cryptoparty.org/wiki/Resources:

   - 1 hour overview of various technologies people might want to use and
   be aware of (HTTPS, GPG, OTR, Tor,  VPN, etc.)

   - with hands-on lab following talk where people can get help from
   speaker - encourage people to bring their laptops to try setting things up

   - 2nd hour - several volunteers helping people set stuff up on their own
   machines, people with some experience can help other, etc.

   - this would be more class room / workshop type format

*Schedule* - Oct 14th

Time     |  Track 1                       |  Track 2
12:00    |  Intro to                        |
01:00    |  Browsing                   |   Legal / Support
02:00    |  Email                          |   Who's cool - good and safe
services
03:00    |  mobile                        |   whos hot and whos not in sudo
room!
04:00    |  OS / Filesystem        |   ????
05:00    |  VPN                             |   ????
06:00    |  PARTY!!!  ----------------------------->>>>>

track 2 only if we can get enough people to fill speaking spots for track 1

*What needs to get done?*

   1. Decide on a *rough* format

   1. Find content - who's interested in speaking, what about, can we shape
   a good schedule, get good and engaging speakers

   1. The schedule and timing depend on the speaker's schedules (and
   organizer's schedules)

2. Finance/Ex

3. Virtual/Web Infrastructure
-Finalize the mailing list setup (Announce and Discuss)
-Set up our own wiki!
-Remind people about the irc channel and web-based interface
-Link the Announcement list and the Blog?
-Encourage user comments on posts (Try out the Wordpress P2 theme?)
-User accounts on the blog
-Bookmarklet for posting to the wiki? the blog?
-Forum-based interface - can the email list archives be turned into a
bulletin board format? Option to email-subscribe to threads? Or are
bulletin boards overkill for the size of our communication flow?