[sudoroom] Oakland Cryptoparty at Sudoroom

Paul Ivanov pi at berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 5 01:38:55 CEST 2012

Sudoers,

Marc Juul, on 2012-09-04 15:18,  wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Garrett Robinson
> <garrett.f.robinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This sounds like a great idea! I'm interested in helping with planning
> > and maybe holding workshops. I've been working on crypto/security
> > materials for activists for a project for some time - this sounds like
> > the perfect excuse to get those finished up and maybe test them on
> > some unwitting guinea pigs...
>
> Sounds great!
>
> I'm also up for helping out with the teaching/learning/hacking/slacking :-)

I'm up for helping run this and would enjoy attending, but likely
won't be able to make weekend planning sessions. I will be at the
meeting this wednesday, now that they're back to Wednesdays,
though.

some additions to that list that was passed around earlier would
be:

1. SSH tunneling of traffic at public wifi points, or in general
through untrusted networks. Not too long ago, it was trivial to
sniff wireless traffic for login credentials to all major webmail
and social network providers (a la firesheep) - this is likely
still mostly the case [though I haven't tried it lately]

2. encfs / truecrypt

3. public key cryptography in practice -- PGP and OTR were
already mentioned, but it seems many don't know they can use GPG
to encrypt files just for local storage, not necessarily email.
Also, tools such as git-annex can do that for you transparently
when backing up to zero- and low-cost corporate-controlled remote
storage.

best,
pi

--