[sudoroom] separation of politics and hackerspace?

mark burdett mark at 510pen.org
Thu May 10 04:40:40 CEST 2012

On Wed, 09 May 2012 18:21:39 -0700, Phil wrote:
> But on Sudo Room, there is a lot about social justice and etc etc etc. This
> is great! But not what I guess I think about when I think about "hacker
> space", and if I were to be honest not really what I'd be interested in
> going to a "hacker space" for.

The early hackerspaces - like FreakNet in sicily
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreakNet and Kernel Panic in barcelona
http://kernelpanic.hacklabs.org/ - were established in squatted social
centers and had a pretty strong ideology.. protesting private
appropriation of communication tools, actively resisting local
repressive institutions like the government or the mafia, promoting
civil rights, free expression, open access to technology.

One could blandly describe a hackerspace as just a space for making,
learning and experimenting, but it does not happen in a political
vacuum.

If you try to cut the social mission and provocative "politics" from the
heart of a hackerspace - frankly I would say some of the more recent
spaces in the US have tried to do so - then i would question what does a
hackerspace stand for, what principles are left to guide it? at some
point it's less hacklab and more coworking space, tech entrepreneur
incubator, private club - which are great and all, I've used or setup
some of those but didn't call it a hackerspace :)

My ideal hackerspace would have some backbone, some guiding
philosophical principles that explain why and how we do what we do. And
I don't think some vision for "social justice" is very far left field in
a place like Oakland - although note, I didn't look at what SudoRoom has
to say about "social justice" so far.

Theoretically noisebridge just has that one "be excellent" principle,
but arguably NB has more principles in play which just haven't been made
explicit, see e.g. the non-hierarchical consensus-based structure, lack
of commercial/corporate sponsors, free and open access to anyone, etc.

</ramble>

--mark B.