[sudoroom] separation of politics and hackerspace?

Phil dude8604 at gmail.com
Thu May 10 03:21:39 CEST 2012

I decided last week to advertise the fundraiser on Reddit, in some of the
local subreddits.  There was one response I got that I think is something
we should discuss.

----------------------

Also, when I think Hacker Space, I think of a big (or small) space where
people can come and work on projects, either by themselves but in the
presence of others, or with a group. There may be some tools and stuff. You
pay money per month for use of the space.

But on Sudo Room, there is a lot about social justice and etc etc etc. This
is great! But not what I guess I think about when I think about "hacker
space", and if I were to be honest not really what I'd be interested in
going to a "hacker space" for.

So... what is Sudo Room really?

The rest of the thread is here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/oakland/comments/t4lex/sudo_room_a_newlyforming_east_bay_hackerspace/

So it seems like most of us have political interests, which I think Sudo
Room should definitely have room for, however I think to be inclusive
of everyone it should be separate from the hackerspace as an organization.
 Or somehow balance the two so that people like this are interested in
joining us.  What do you all think?

- Phil