[sudoroom] Fwd: Ferro Fluids? (sorry bad link)

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 03:14:41 CEST 2012

I got some ferrofluid from Inventables a while back - wasn't too expensive:
$13.60 for a fluid ounce. Haven't tried mixing it with any water colors yet
though.

https://www.inventables.com/technologies/magnetic-fluid

I also noticed that the person teaching the "Create Real Rust" class at
Workshop Weekend had a jar of atomized iron powder that I was thinking
would probably work fairly well to make ferrofluid. May be worth checking
some art stores with a magnet - or just ask that teacher where she got hers.

I think the Exploratorium or another similar booth had a nice ferrofluid
demo at Maker Faire one or two years ago. Just a big glob of ferrofluid in
a glass jar, and some powerful magnets that people could move by turning a
wheel.

Patrik

PS: Doesn't quite classify as a ferro"fluid", but check out the video about
this guy's work:

http://jolanvanderwiel.nl/?p=272