[sudoroom] Sudo Radio Status

august august at alien.mur.at
Mon Dec 17 18:05:35 CET 2012

Hi Mischa, all,

I just wanted to write and say that I am interested in the radio
project(s) at sudo room.  I met a number of you at the unconference the
other week.  Unfortunately, I have been busy since then and will be out
of town as of Dec.23rd and until 2013.

I have some FM experience and a lot of experience with streaming
software (I was mostly active with this stuff between 1996-2003, but the
technology hasn't changed all that much).  I'm an avid linux user and
software engineer by trade and could help set up a streaming server and
other client/server software.

Two things I made that might be relevant are MuSE
http://www.dyne.org/software/muse/ and something I call Userradio.
http://aug.ment.org/userradio/

MuSE is a streaming software for linux (and now Mac).
Userradio is an online mixer for live radio.  Both are  rather out-dated
by now...but are something we might be able to revive in some form or
another.

At the unconference, I mentioned a software called campcaster.  It is
now called Airtime and is something I have been meaning to try out.
http://www.sourcefabric.org/en/airtime/  The Airtime version seems to
work via their own cloud technology which operates on a monthly
pay-to-play system.  However, their older campcaster is something we
could download and inspect.  It seems to have a solid back-end for
scheduling playlists from multiple users/radio-makers, and I'm sure we
could customize it or improve upon it if it somehow falls short of our
expectations.

I can also help write the script you describe below for recording and
generating RSS feeds.

I'll be around this week until the 23rd if there is another meeting,
and/or if you would like to meet and discuss some technical options.

saludos -august.

> Good news is, SUDO RADIO is now a thing. We have an icecast2 radio stream on a machine with 100Mbit unmetered bandwidth as well as part of the required setup for FM transmission as well. Check it out: http://sudoradio.com/
>
> There is a FM 0.5watt PLL transmitter and signal filter on long-term loan to the space, along with some very rudimentary audio equipment. It's currently set to 95.1 FM, although we can change that if we can find a more suitable unused frequency. It does in fact transmit radio waves, but they only go about 15ft at the moment. In order to get it fully operational we will need to acquire a signal amplifier (I believe a 15watt amp kit from Free Radio Berkeley should run about $60, which I can probably cover), and an antenna.
> The antenna can be constructed for very cheap, if anyone wants to take the lead on that we could be in business very soon. The directions are here: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/als_space/ham/PVC_Jpole.pdf
> A friend of mine has a very nice signal analyzer we can use to tune the antenna while constructing it, which should be of enormous help.
> It's been said we may be able to put the antenna on the roof of our building, if not sticking it out the window may work. FM is line-of-sight, so the higher up it is the better.
>
> The icecast2 stream is operational, and I can give anyone access to anyone who wants to try it out. If you wish to do a show or just want to fuck around, please see http://sudoradio.com/dj_info
> I have an IRC bot that I wrote that announces shows and current tracks, I can stick it in the channel if people don't think it'll be too annoying
>
> I am imagining a setup in which there is a dedicated linux machine at the space which has an audio input jack and a switch to stream to the icecast server, and the FM transmitter will just play whatever is going to the stream, but there may be other options. We have a small soundproofed studio in the back of the random shit closet which we can stick some microphones and stuff in. I think at minimum we need a dedicated linux machine to handle the streaming stuff, and a mixer. Nice microphones and headphones and preamps and a real computer for doing shows would be great, but not cheap.
>
> My dream would be to have a script triggered by mount point changes (which is a feature of icecast2) that automatically records every show and syndicates an RSS feed of shows (aka a podcast) so that people can subscribe to the radio feed and automatically download any shows they may have missed.
>
> If you want to be involved, you can respond to this email or get on the IRC channel. We need equipment, people to do shows, people to write scripts, people to make hardware appear and a crew to make the antenna happen and put together an amp.

http://aug.ment.org
GPG: 0A8D 2BC7 243D 57D0 469D  9736 C557 458F 003E 6952