[sudoroom] HOWTO make a school computer lab for free with "broken" computers and free/open source software

Stefan Lasiewski stefan at stefanco.com
Thu Aug 16 21:28:02 CEST 2012

Is ACCRC still doing this stuff?

I volunteered at ACCRC 5+ years ago for a few installfests where we
installed Linux on dozens of rebuilt machines. They had a great array of
old, interesting, discarded and homemade equipment, including things like a
theramin, a homebuilt biodiesel generator, an antique 50 pound harddrive ,
etc. It was like a museum of old technology. ACCRC was in the news, at
Maker Faire, featured in tech blogs, etc.

But since then ACCRC seemed to have some trouble. They left their cool, old
location and their new location is a typical ewaste collection place. Last
time I dropped off my old computer equipment at 620 page, I was told they
didn't rebuild computers anymore. http://www.accrc.org/ seems very outdated.

I would love to be wrong. ACCRC was pretty cool.

-= Stefan

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Steve Berl <steveberl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you guys familiar with Alameda Community Computer Resource Center (
> http://www.accrc.org/)
>
> -steve
>
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Hilary Naylor <hnaylor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Marina and all,
>> This is indeed a great solution for schools with limited resources. The
>> challenge is that Oakland District tech services will not support a
>> non-windows set-up. Also that a lot of educational software will not run on
>> LINUX.
>>   Many Oakland schools get their refurbished computer labs and classroom
>> computers from OTX-west. They pre-install a while lot of FOSS suitable for
>> the grade level of the school. They also have a take-home computer program.
>> Cheers,
>> Hilary
>> On Aug 15, 2012 5:47 PM, "Marina Kukso" <marina.kukso at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Sudo lecture series! ;)