[sudoroom] name logo identity branding

Matthew Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 00:55:10 CET 2011

Wanted to start a thread on this since Jenny brought it up last week!

First of all, we need DESIGNERS and DESIGN HELP:
http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Sudo_room/design_needs

Secondly, the history behind the name is pretty simple. I was in Mexico
City, and had been toying with the idea of starting a hackerspace but
wasn't totally serious. I visited Hacker Room: http://hackerroom.mx/ and
after talking with the founder decided, this can be done and I have no
reason not to. Fast-forward to Science Hack Day, and when Jacob leaned over
to say "What if you could do this every day?" my response was, "I already
have a name 'Sudo Room'," sudo being a unix command-line joke
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudo and room being a reference to Hacker Room
in Mexico City.

Jenny suggested "sudo space" which I agree has an amazing alliteration to
it. I want to suggest we shouldn't be too hung up between those two for
now, rebranding would not be impossible (and in fact could be valuable if
we choose to have an identity makeover at some point). But I'm also open to
discuss all options.

Either way, we need to build up some good, clear branding and design
materials for marketing efforts. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions here?

- Matt