[Spaceapi-devel] 0.13 suggestions

Astro astro at spaceboyz.net
Thu Mar 28 01:40:15 CET 2013

Andrew Elwell wrote:
> As 0.13 introduces some backwards-incompatible changes, can I suggest
> we just bump the major version rather than piddling around with
> 0.12,0.13 etc

+1 for http://semver.org/ - it's the only true way to make use of
version numbers.

> I'm basing this on what we see in big REST sites - plan being so that
> GET http://example.org/spaceapi/1/status should return json tied to
> that version of the API - ditto if some app could only understand 0.12
> syntax

Right, /1/ looks like a major version number.

However I don't see where serving a simple JSON resource requires any
predefined path schemes. Anything of interest can be discovered by
following links (rel="space-api" in HTML, feeds et al in JSON).

Is there anyone who serves space-api JSON and is willing to take care of
multiple versions? How about the consumers? Postel's Law?

> it means a site can update both (or have some dynamic script that can
> return the correct version depending how it was called) and not break
> things in the meantime
>
> If a site also did some oauth (or equvalent) voodoo there's the chance
> that a public status feed would be different to what's shown to
> members -- ie webcam feeds, events (*who* last opened the door etc)
> rather than just an open/closed flag

Authenticated access sounds interesting.

I would like to use this topic to remind all of you hackers to refrain
from collecting too much private data. I would not go to a space where
people's behaviour gets tracked.

Full-steam ahead,
Astro