[Hackupy-discuss] USB Chargers

Akiba akiba at freaklabs.org
Mon Dec 5 21:05:36 CET 2011

One thing to try  is possibly just keeping the same PCB and breaking out the
buck converter to a separate board with the same footprint as the device
from Akizuki. That way the original design can be used unmodified since it's
known good and the buck guts can be switched out based on what's
available/needed. I also think that it would be an interesting twist to
throw an AVR on the PCB and allow people to add features via the Arduino
environment. I'm pretty sure there will be some pretty wacky and useful
things added.

Also, within THS, we're using the 12V charger as one of the devices in a
disaster management toolkit that we're trying to put together. It's a basket
of devices that are ready to go for the next disaster/crisis that will occur
somewhere. We've noticed that many crisis situations share the same
problems, mainly that access to infrastructure (power, comms, water, etc)
suddenly disappears. If we can make more progress on this, then hopefully
we'll try to turn it into a hackerspace-wide effort. It should be pretty
interesting and a lot of the discussions on stuff needed for hackupy are
giving us ideas on other devices to include.

Enclosures are essential but I don't think they need to be too fancy. They
will probably need to be somewhat moisture proof but also have access to
open air in case its under full load. Most of those requirements would need
to come out from testing to see what the enclosure air flow needed would be.

Akiba

FreakLabs Open Source Wireless

Web:  <http://www.freaklabs.org> http://www.freaklabs.org

Shop: <http://www.freaklabsstore.com> http://www.freaklabsstore.com