[foodhackingbase] Wiki relaunch

Steffen Beyer steffen at beyer.io
Thu Jan 23 04:49:28 CET 2014

Hello to all,

as a newbie I volunteered to help with the wiki, mainly solving the
spam problem. I learned about FHB at the 30C3 – although I did just
grab some tasty snacks, I got interested further while listening to one
of the Sondersendung podcasts afterwards, and I decided to engage.  :)

Now a fresh MediaWiki is set up at Uberspace¹, temporarily reachable at

https://fhb.canis.uberspace.de

The server is located in Frankfurt, Germany, at the rh-tec facilities².

The suggested hosting fee is 5€/month, while the first month is free.
To top up the account, money needs to be transferred to

Beneficiary: Jonas Pasche
IBAN: DE35550501200200003978
BIC: MALADE51MNZ (Sparkasse Mainz)
Reference: Uberspace fhb

To combat spam, I took the following measures:

* require login to edit pages
* require account validation by email
* require Captcha for new user sign up

I would suggest to change the foodhackingbase.org DNS now to point to
the new wiki³. The current state was saved and can be restored easily.
My idea is to wait with editing, let's say until Sunday, and see if the
spam injection is still a problem. If it is, I can revert back to the
clean state without any hassle and perform more hardening.

The content structure has changed a little bit:

Recipes are grouped in the "Recipe" namespace now. Projects and
Associated groups have been converted to categories – they weren't
real namespaces in the old wiki anyway, not set up properly in
LocalSettings. This is documented for editors within the wiki⁴. Of
course, this is not set in stone; let's see how it works out.

Image resizing, thumbnails, should work now. Frantisek mentioned a
Flickr extension. Please enlighten me, what is missing in this regard?

It would be nice to have one or two volunteers for user support. I.e.
the wiki sends mails to users with a certain sender address, e.g.
account validation. This address is dead currently, but I could set it
up to be forwarded to some nice people, handling feedback.

Last point is SSL – the old wiki runs with a CAcert certificate which
produces a warning for most users. A commercial certificate would cost
39€ for three years⁵. A compromise could be to run the wiki
unencrypted, using the above URL – and therefore the Uberspace
wildcard certificate – for administration. This would require
disciplined administrators, OTOH.  ,)

I'm sure, there are some glitches in the new wiki instance. Just play
around and let me know. Good night!

Steffen Beyer <steffen at beyer.io>

¹ https://uberspace.de
² http://www.rh-tec.de